Nov 3, 2012

2 - About me

Possum Kingdom State Park
I am a native Texan in my late 40's. Currently living in a city that is right in between Dallas and Fort Worth. Not a very good place to live for someone who wants to see stars at night. The light pollution is horrible here,(see this link for light pollution map) but I still manage to make use of my telescope here with somewhat manageable results. I will usually travel for about 100 miles (160 km) in order to find a location that has very little light pollution, preferably a state park or an RV park since they provide electricity to run all my equipment. I will either go to Possum Kingdom Lake State Park or Lake Whitney State Park. Both are about 100 miles from home. About every 3 or 4 months I will travel to Fort Stockton TX, which is about 900 miles from home. The night sky is amazingly clear there with 0% light pollution. The McDonald Observatory is located about 30 miles from the RV park that I stay at.
If I am by myself I will use my camping tent.
I use my RV when my wife tags along.

No comments:

Post a Comment